RE: closed purchasing group list idea

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: closed purchasing group list idea
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:36:03 +0100

Wow what a popular thread this turned into!

Sorry but I have only just got online today and was deluged with ukha
posts.
I have to say that I have not been at all impressed with Yahoo lately, I
think most people have experienced significant delays in posts being sent
and received and I know that some have lost posts. I also have some 'user'
experience with Yahoo clubs and those too have been crap lately.

As for the spam, I can't prove that it has anything to do with Yahoo, but
someone is getting my email address from somewhere and as it happens spam
has increased significantly since the switch to Yahoo and in the same time
period I have actually significantly reduced my use of newsgroups and IRC
(two other 'sources' of spam). But these ads can be annoying even when the
service is running perfectly.

All I was saying is that I have a server that is connected 24x7 to the web,
it is hosted by u-net (or via networks as they are now) and has not fallen
over in over two years (apart from when I have deliberately rebooted for
upgrades and so on). I host a handfull of client web sites on there but
there is plenty of hard disk space. It has NT4, SQL7 and Exchange 5.5 on
it,
but as I say, I have no expertise in running or administrating a list. One
of the clients sites on there is sending out emails automatically through
ASP web pages and they seem to arrive pretty quickly, I have not known of
one that failed to arrive.

I assume I would need to check with my ISP about having a mailing list(s)
as
I assume emails would be routed through their gateway (unless some of you
experts out there know of a better alternative, eg using Exchange) but if
there are experts here willing to set it up and administer it then I have
no
problem with hosting it.

I agree with Paul's comments about doing this right if we are going to do
it
at all and I have absolutely no problem with Mark's administration of the
list. Of course there would be absolutely no charge for the use of my
server
in this way, I pay for it to be hosted anyway and do not see that the costs
would go up (they are based on the band width of the connection which is
currently 128K).

Regards

Graham