RE: closed purchasing group list idea

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: closed purchasing group list idea
  • From: Mark Harrison <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:40:47 +0100

Mark,

> Seems to be two issues here.  A new private group as
> suggested by John and a re-location of ukha_d to a new service.

The obvious move, then, is:

Phase 1:

- Dr. John sets up a new list, on a private server, for this purpose

Phase 2:

- You/the group make a decision about where to keep this group in the light
of a few months experience of Phase 1.

My own experience on moving lists is when the (MSCC) Morgan Sports Car Club
(unofficial) list moderator decided to move list servers, and did so
without
telling any one. He lost about 30% of the group through problems in the
move, and another 30% had walked in disgust at the way it was handled by
him! Another, competitor list sprang up, formed by some of the disaffected,
and that's now running at similar volumes to ukha_d (I speak as a
co-moderator of that list which IS on a private server, donated by another
enthusiast.)

My experience of your personal style is that you _wouldn't_ move the group
to another server without full consultation in advance, and decent support
of people who had problems after (I remember 1998!), but...

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher

Kingfisher plc
Registered Office: North West House, 119 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5PX
Registered in England, Number 1664812

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
from your system.  Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you for your
co-operation.