Re: CID & Linux (was OT: DECT phones - advice)

On Saturday 12 May 2001 10:49 am, you wrote:
> This site has some very interesting info on the hayes and caller id
> problems..
>
> http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/hayes.htm
>
> Apparently the problem is tied up in line reversal detection if you
have
> another phone on the line.

Well spotted Jason,

I've had a read of the page, and while it descrbes the problem I doubt it's
solution would be much use to the majority of users. Myself included :-(

Basically, you have to plug your phone into the back of the modem, no use
if
you have 2 or 3 phones around the house.

He mentions reversing the polairty of the line killing off all his phones,
what might happen if you reverse the polarity of the line to just the dome
itself by butchering the lead that connects it to the phone line? (cue
warning in caps from Keith :-)

This is a new line of investigation for me, so I'm holding off looking at
other ways (buying one of the 10 quid caller ID units from BT and finding
the
serial output on it someone mentioned.)