RE: Homevision - one more time...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Homevision - one more time...
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:00:55 +0100

This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net
> It's not a case of running *ONE* emitter but several ... not zoned ...
but
> just say one attached to each piece of kit rather than a single
> emitter. Can
> HV power multiple IR emitters directly or do you need to run an IR
> distribution amp? To clarify things I wanted to strap emitters to
> my IR543,
> my VCR, DVD, LD, video scaler, projector and amplifier which is seven
> emitters but I never knew whether the HV could drive seven (all with
the
> same signal, not zoned) on it's own.

Depends on how much current HV can sink on the IR outputs.  The led that I
used is rated 100mA continuous, but since it is likely to be in *very*
close
proximity to the device being controlled, I guess 50mA would easily
suffice,
probably even 20mA.  Driving 7 leds, HV would therefore need to be able to
sink around 300mA.  Suitable forward current limiting resistors can be used
to limit the current used, probably 500R.

> Now I just need to rig up a multi channel IR sender with a single
receiver
> ... which I also don't quite know how to implement but I know that the
IR
> receivers on LetsAutomate are *HORRENDOUSLY* expensive! (I think
> this is one
> for Ian Birds IR PCBs!)

I think this one's pretty easy - hey Ian?  Simply a few resistors with a
transistor or two.  Of course, it would need its own power as we are
assuming here that HV's outputs cannot provide adequate current.

James H