RE: DDAR bulk purchase - latest news

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DDAR bulk purchase - latest news
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 10:47:40 +0100

Graham,

Thanks m8 you're a star!

K.

-----Original Message-----
From: 	Graham Howe [mailto:graham@xxxxxxx]
Sent:	04 May 2001 21:22
To:	ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject:	[ukha_d] DDAR bulk purchase - latest news

At last we have some encouraging news on this (I never give up ;-) ). We
have now found a shipper willing to take the units and someone willing to
buy them and repack them.

Various costs are being worked out at the moment and I am still waiting to
find out if Dell can fill the order (50 units) and whether they will give a
discount. However it looks like the total cost delivered to the UK is going
to be in the region of $200 (135 quid) per unit which I think is a pretty
good price. I know that it is over our initial hopes, but it is certainly
cheaper than any other alternative I can come up with.

The only thing I have deliberately excluded is insurnace, the shipper has
said that it would not be worth it on such a low value cargo as they never
pay out in full and ships hardly ever sink! So instead, I am including in
the $200, the cost of someone unpacking and repacking all units to protect
against damage and to avoid attracting any duty (units will be legitimate
second hand goods as they will not be in original packaging). It does mean
that in the very unlikely event that a unit is defective when it arrives,
the unlucky recipient will need to claim on their own house and contents
insurance.

I will have precise details soon, but for now please let me know if you
have
previously requested units but would now like to pull out. As a reminder,
the total cost will be payable to me in advance, refunds will only be given
if stock is unavailable from Dell (in other words no money will have been
handed over). Once Dell have shipped the goods, we take all the risk.

If there are people who are willing to pay more, then I may be pursuaded to
provide a guarantee (I plan to buy additional units for subsequent sell on)
whereby if you unit is DOA, I will replace it. I would expect that this
would cost about 15 quid per unit and would not cover complete loss of the
cargo!

Regards

Graham