Re: DOH! - why didn't I think of that before?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: DOH! - why didn't I think of that before?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:20:02 +0100

Hi Kevin, thanks for the input.

>I had a similar issue. There are a number of software applications
>available
>to run on a PC (in background or as a service) that work with the
dynamic
>DNS services to get around this. Most won't provide what you want as
they

Yeah, I have found several, tried one, (which works - IE it registers the
correct IP), but I haven't yet tested whether or not it causes a dial every
time it polls, -  I tested it whilst I was online already.

>watch for the ip of the local PC changing and yours won't. A couple (of
the
>smarter ones) do work however - Try Dynsite
>(http://noeld.com/dldynsite.htm).
I actually use a Mac application that
>works fine. However.....
>    What they do is send a request to a remote host which sends back
your

I figured that's what must be happening.

>actual ip.. I can provide a remote web page which will give you this
>information if you need it but.... Three points here....
>    1) If your isp implements a transparent caching proxy then they see
the
>cache address not yours and hence don't work. Freeserve is problematic
>here.
>If you don't have this cache problem then this 'out of the box'
software
>will work for you. Try Dynsite, if it works you don't have this
problem.
>You
>need to enable the 'smart ip' detect bit from memory.

The one I tried works OK, so I guess that's fine...

>    2) This solution is really only an automated version of the polling
>routine you talk about, also it's an internet cf intranet access so
your
>proposal is far better as it keeps your traffic local, and fast.
However
>the
>pre-written package is already integrated with the Dyndns service, so
you
>don't need to write that part.

>    3) If you are using dial on demand this needs to be filtered out by
>your
>router, otherwise it will keep bring up the connection.

This is of course the problem! - I don't especially mind the line coming
up,
as I have 24/7 unmetered access anyway, so it doesn't cost me anything.
However, I don't especially like this method as I have reconfigured the
routers idle timeout to 1 hour, so every dial-out resuilts in it staying
online for a whole hour. - I did this because it doesn't spoof any
connection status to LAN Applications, so the default of 3 minutes, meant
that my Instant Messanger & email clients got disconnected every 3
minutes,
and I soon got fed up with that! - I often have my connection up but idle
just monitoring email, and having it go down too frequently is a pain in
the
**** - not so bad for web or email, but totally knackers I.M.

>    I ended up using a telnet connection to my router and polling once
>minute, when it changed I updated my dyndns address, (its a Mac
>application). However I now use static ip so the problem went away.

Hmm... I prefer this method, 'cos as you say, it will keep the traffic
local, I can poll as often as I need to, and can't cause id dial-out.

>    Incidently ACE has an update ip command built in for just this sort
of
>issue.

I do intend to purchase ACE soon...

>    Are you using ISDN2 or ADSL on your router, I guess ISDN2 as you
talk
>about dialling up. In this case your ip will only change after a new
>connection, this might simplify your polling if you can detect a
dialout to

It's ISDN (BT Home Highwway), but I'm not sure how (if) I can detect a
dial-out from another machine, without the act ot attempting to detect
actually causing a dial-out itself! - It seems to me the telnet or browser
window to the router config screen is the most satisfactory method.

Cheers.

Paul G.