RE: DOH! - why didn't I think of that before?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DOH! - why didn't I think of that before?
  • From: "Nick Gunn" <ngunn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:33:19 +0100

Paul,

Does the router support SNMP queries?

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gordon@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 30 April 2001 16:12
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] DOH! - why didn't I think of that before?

I got my whizzo new ISDN/ADSL router from SEG late on Friday evening (it
came when I was out, so the neighbour took it in)

In no time at all, I've got it set up and working, and it is providing my
internet connectivity right now...

and only now have I just realised one thing...

How the hell am I supposed to use a DDNS service now? - previously the ISDN
connection was managed by MS Proxy server/external TA combination, so the
internet facing IP address was assigned to an interface on the NT server,
so
it was a piece of cake to run a DDNS client there to register it each
time...

Now of course, the dynamic IP address is assigned to the router...

Has anyone got any ideas for getting round this? - I need to detect
whenever
the router goes online, and then detect it's external IP, in order to be
able to register it with DynDNS.org

The router does have a built-in webserver and telnet server for
management/config, and one of the pages does show the connection status and
external IP, so the only idea I have had so far is to use a script to
scrape
the IP address from the webpage and or telnet service, and push it into the
DDNS client as a manual update... but that seems rather inelegant, and
whilst I don't believe I'd have any difficulty with the script to acquire
the Address, I'm not so sure about automating the DDNS client to register
it. Also, I have the problem that unless the router can somehow trigger the
script to run when required, I'll have to have the script polling
constantly
just looking for an address change...

All ideas greatfully accepted...

Paul G.