RE: Help!!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Help!!
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:22:20 +0100

>The UK version of the X-10 specification does not support active
monitoring
>of device status. There are NO CE-approved devices that support this.
It is

Except one, (sort of)... The TM12 Transceiver module does support status
polling, and will correctly report it's status back to a controller when
queried. However, seing as the TM12 only comes in an Appliance module
version, then this is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!...

>As such, the only way to ramp up-down is to allow the controller to
>internally keep track of the device state. However, if a system allows
>local
>control (such as the LW lightswitches, or even an LM lamp module -
>physically switching off and on the light switch turns the light on),
then
>the controller's internal state may get wrong.

All true, but it is of course possible to disable the local control in the
plug-in modules. (not much point in disabling it in the LW.. wall
switches!!) You "could" use X10 radio switches instead of the
LW..
wallswitches where you need wallmounted light switches, which would get
round this problem. However I am not keen on the idea of having any
component of a HA system bettery operated...

>If a controller has lost state information (or potentially lost state
>information), then the ONLY X-10 route available to it in the UK is to
give
>a "old-style DIM". ie come on all the way, then dim
incrementally.

This is of course totally true, - so the ideal strategy is to try to ensure
that the controllers state tracking information is "always"
accurate. (100%
accuracy just isn't possible with X10). There are various methods to try to
achieve this, such as disabling local control, and resetting everything to
known state periodically. - For example, I have an event that runs at 05:30
every morning that sends out X10 commands to set every X10 device I have to
the correct state (usually OFF), this ensures that I at least start every
day with known correct status details in the controller...

>The best UK system is still, therefore, Homevision, unless you want to
>spend
>tens of thousands in a CEDIA-installed Lutron-based system.

Good point - don't forget that X10 is not the only lighting control system
available! - you >CAN< achieve everything you listed, but not with
X10, so
it'll probably cost a wee bit more...

Paul G.