RE: Help!!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Help!!
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:49:03 +0100

> I found Homeseer great, but increasingly got worried about
> relying on my PC
> for the control. It's not that it's ever crashed (well - not since I
> upgraded to Win2k),

I've recently been having *real* problems with my w2k server box, which is
pretty much dedicated to Homeseer and HA these days.  To cut a long story
short, the machine would hang for hours at a time, and then kick itself
back
into life... The odd thing was that it took me a while to notice it was
going wrong, because it tended to hang when I was out, and kick itself back
on-line as soon as I got home.

It appeared that after it had hung, receiving an X10 command via the CM12
caused it to start working again!! - After much playing around (mostly
because I couldn't replicate the problem, so had to change things very
slowly!), it turned out to be a dodgy serial card in the server! - I've now
switched over to a USB --> Serial box, and everything works fine!

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else ever has a similar problem
-
I've never know a hardware problem to cause a machine to temporarily hang
before! (bare in mind that the machine didn't reboot, it just stopped dead
for a few hours, and then carried on as if nothing was wrong!).

Other than that, I've been running Homeseer under w2k server for about a
year without any problems at all.  Generally it's solid as a rock, although
there's no doubt this is helped by the fact that I only use the machine as
server.

Adam.