Modulators

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Modulators
  • From: Richard Malcolm-Smith <rich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:52:52 +1200

How are people hooking these up? I tried using a splitter backward with
my antenna and the output of my sky reciever, and authough the antenna
signal was fine, the sky channel was terrible.

I was feeding from the backwards splitter into an 8 way splitter to 6
TV's

If I run the antenna into the sky box, and then out, not only is the sky
picture crap, but so is my off-air channels. With it connected that way,
on 2 of my TV's with the longest cable runs (Garage/workshop, and
kitchen) the off antenna pictures get quite blurrey, almost asif there
was a ghost there (This is only on high UHF channels). If I run the
output of the sky box directly to the 8 way splitter its almost perfict
on all tvs. Some channels have some swirly lines over them, but nothing
majorly annoying. If I run it thru the backwards splitter to the 8 way
splitter its a bit worse then direct, but nothing major. Its only
connecting up the antenna that does it. From what I have being told the
output of the skybox is quite weak - I was told its only 70 dBµV,
whereas off air can be up to 100dBµV or more. I may be able to fix that
with an antenna amplifier on the output of the sky box.

Now here in New Zealand things are a bit different to the UK, in that we
use all the UHF band, and VHF for tv. I suspect that there isnt enough
free channel space for the RF out of the sky, or that there is simply
too much noise there for it to compete with.

The problem here is that I am wanting to get some modulators to get CCTV
cameras on all the TV's, I suspect that I may need filters of some sort,
I dont want to end up building a complete MATV system for the sake of a
few cameras tho.