Dynamic DNS [was: Re: Cable Modem]

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Dynamic DNS [was: Re: Cable Modem]
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <markh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:30:52 -0000

While on the subject of dynamic DNS, avoid dhs.org. The DNS=20
propogation of new IP addresses can take up to 24 hours on dhs.org so=20
if your IP is likely to change regularly the DNS might never be up to=20
date with your current IP address.

Mark.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Adam Stevens" <adam@z...> wrote:
> FWIW,  I have a Telewest cable modem (yes, they're cowboys, but it=20
works
> most of the time).  Take a look at www.dyndns.org for dynamic IP=20
domains.
> I've been using it for months without any problem whatsoever=20
(although my IP
> address has only changed once in the last 4 months!).
>=20
> Also, take a look at some software called Direct Update from
> http://directupdate.free.fr/ it's a
*fantastic* piece of software=20
which
> handles the client side of most of these dynamic domain sites.  It=20
checks
> your IP address every few minutes (configurable), and updates the=20
relevant
> DNSs with the new IP (if it changes).  It can also run a service=20
under
> NT/w2k, which means it's literally a case of installing it, and=20
forgetting
> about it.
>=20
> Cheers,
> Adam. (http://zz9.dyndns.org!).
>=20
>=20
FTP big
> files from work to home during the day.)
>=20
>   Phil
ISDN up
> and running!! :-)
>=20
>       M.
>=20
>=20
Anyway ...
> will try out my ISDN TA this afternoon/evening and see what we can=20
get on
> that!
>=20
>         Cheers Guys.
>=20
>         Phil
>=20
>=20
>         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of=20
Service.