Lighting Circuit additions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Lighting Circuit additions
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <markh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:59:31 +0100

At present I have fluorescent lighting in my loft. The problem is that this
lighting is connected to a cable which has to be plugged into a mains
socket
on the landing to operate. I want to wire this lighting into the lighting
circuit and provide an X10 switch for it.

I am quite happy about playing around with the electrics of the house and
have happily installed fused spurs and additional sockets on the ring main.
I have also rerouted some of the lighting circuit. However I have never
added a new light and switch into the lighting circuit and have lost my
handy little Wickes "dummy guide to electrical wiring" (which
used to have a
selection of diagrams which were useful for planning my own electrical
work)
and the local stores are out of stock, I do not have any diagrams to refer
to for this.

Since the new circuit is in the loft, the wiring for the upstairs lighting
circuit is pretty accessible (subject to moving of junk. There is a box to
which all the wiring appears to lead (grey rectangular plastic box). This
box is not fastened down just lying in between beams along with the wiring.
I have opened it up and discovered 6 wires in, 6 wires out and it contains
"crossover/junction" to all the lighting wiring I have tracked so
far. I am
not sure why there are 6 wires, 4 rooms with light and switch possibly plus
the landing light 2 way circuit would imply there ought to be 8-10 wires
but
anyway.

I assume this would be the point at which to break into the lighting
circuit
to add my new light but was looking for some confirmation and possiblty a
little information as to what exactly this box represents so that I can
initially add in the required wiring for the new light.

While on the subject of this "junction box", would it seem a
feasible point
to wire in any required xD10 modules at this point? Maybe replace it with a
consumer unit specifically for this purpose?

Any pointers to a useful electrical info source or comments from someone
that is familiar with this system would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark.