Re: kVA - kW?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: kVA - kW?
  • From: "Stuart Whyte" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:31:29 -0000

Mark,

For PC's you <SHOULD> really run some sort of protection in case of
surges form the genni set.  A UPS will usually do.

Also, to be 100% safe you should multipy the KVA by 0.8 to allow for
power factor correction.

Hope this helps

Stuart

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:
> Excellent. Thanks Keith
>
> Now - should I get some sort of filter board to run te PCs off?
>
> Thanks
>
> M.

resistive load is exactly the same as kW.

>   AC loads are rarely purely resistive. Most AC loads are either
inductive or capacitive and can cause strange things to happen if
there are too many of one type although devices that are highly
inductive like motors often have Power Correction Capacitors (PF
Correction) installed to make them "appear" to be resistive.