RE: Nikon Coolpix 990 - WAS Homtech...

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Nikon Coolpix 990 - WAS Homtech...
  • From: "Bird, Ian" <ian.bird@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:35:45 -0000

I bought my 990 just after Xmas from Jessops for =A3800. I got the premier
version which includes the mains adapter, 32 megs more memory, case and a
sun shield thingy for the LCD screen. It's just another box in addition to
the one the main camera comes in.  The latter I have never used but all the
rest are dead useful. This extra 'kit' of parts was 50 pounds on top of the
basic camera price. The Nikon power adapter on its own is around 70 so get
it, it's worth it.

I have been really pleased with the results from the camera. Each image in
fine mode is about 1.2 meg which is acceptable. There are several other
modes and compression ratios but I haven't bothered with these (smaller
fil=
sizes). The control over everything like exposure, shutter speed, ISO
rating, exposure compensation etc. is close to my SLR. I have also got one
of the extra lenses that can be had for them, X2 optical magnification -
good when you need it but not used that often. The only annoying bit is the
delay when pressing the shutter as mentioned elsewhere. By setting some
things off like red eye reduction etc. this can be got rid of however.
Focu=
is quick and generally accurate with the usual autofocus shortcomings (SLR
inc.) Even the movie it produced was pretty good.

There is a review of it on the PCPro website (www.pcpro.co.uk) which
persuaded me to get it. Look under the labs section. Then digital cameras.
The test was just before December. It says it all really. The only thing I
haven't found that was mentioned was the charger - misprint or me not
looking hard enough?

Assuming you get one get a supply of rechargeables for it. It comes with 4
AA's but you will need more. I can kill a set a day and they take 14 hours
to recharge. The supplied ones are 1600 mA but the best I could find was
1500 mA from Maplins at 4.99. Others I have seen are down as low as 1200 mA
and these don't last anywhere near as long.

Brill camera. Don't know half of the features yet because of lack of time
etc. Thoroughly recommended. Some of the features and therefore a little of
the value may be lost on those not in the photographic know e.g. exposure
compensation.

As I said, I will have it Hometech for those wanting a look.

Ian

week... doh!

camera along
> > > too so there