RE: Homeseer and Dyndns

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Homeseer and Dyndns
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:51:34 -0000

Well, I just did a spot of investigation into this, and did the following:

STOPPED my internal DNS service,
Put my main server online, & ran the dynamic DNS client to register the
IP,
Checked the dynamic registration on the dynDNS.org website - all correct.
PING'ed the FQDN from that server - resolved & replied correctly,
PING'ed the FQDN from my "troublesome" client - failed, -
resolved to the
PREVIOUSLY registered IP for the Server..
checked the DNS cache on that client with IPCONFIG /displaydns - NO entrry
for either the domain or IP in question.. - only entries put there by my
hosts file for some server at work that I occasionally connect to.
FLUSHED the client's DNS cache anyway with IPCONFIG /flushdns, and checked
it again - exactly the same entries as before - as they come from my hosts
file.
HUNG UP the connection at the server, and RECONNECTED it, to get a new IP
address assigned, & RE-RUN the above tests. This time, the client
resolved
the IP address that I had just released, - IE the troublesome client always
"seems" to resolve the 1-previous IP address...
PHONED UP a mate, and got him to PING the FQDN, - he resolved it correctly
&
got a reply...

Confused?

Me too!

Where the **** is this being cached?

Paul G.

>From: Paul Miller <pmiller@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Homeseer and Dyndns
>Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:11:55 -0000
>
>that was next question :) if it was the DNS cache have you tried
>flushing it. I can't seem to locate the Timeout value in the registry,
>although I believe its normally set to 5 mins by default.
>
>Good luck
>
>please advise when you sort it out - I would be interested in the
>solution.
>
>Paul

The
> >name
> >would/should be whatever name you >choose< to register
beneath the
> >Dynamic
> >DNS service providers domain name, for example,
> >"www.ianshouse.dyndns.org"
> >then as long as you have a DDNS client that correctly updates your
> >dynamic
> >registration(s) with that service (and does so promptly!), then
> >resolvers
> >should be able to use that name to find your webserver.
> >
> >The fact that when you go to the DDNS webpage and look up your IP
> >address,
> >and find that is is correct and current, (as proved by the fact
that
> >browsing to it gets to your HS webpage), proves that your client
update
> >is
> >occurring quite correctly...
> >
> >I would then look at the configuration of the resolvers... Do you
have

> >cacheing DNS server between your resolver and the DynDNS server?
> >
> >I have a very similar problem at the moment with some W2K
workstations,
> >- I
> >also use the DynDNS service, and a Dynamic DNS client to register
my
> >webserver (NT4 server & IIS4), which redirects incoming HTTP
requests
> >my
> >internal Homeseer webserver. I find that the dynamic update
portion
> >works
> >perfectly, IE when my server's IP address changes, the client
correctly
> >updates the dynamic registration, and does so very quickly.
Checking
>the
> >
> >DynDNS webpage therefore shows the correct IP address, just as in
your
> >case.
> >However, I then find that some PC's on my internal LAN can ping
the
>FQDN
> >
> >correctly, while others cannot, due to resolving an incorrect
(earlier)
> >IP
> >address. My internal LAN also has a cacheing DNS server AND A
proxy
> >server
> >(also on the same NT4 & IIS4 box), and my internal clients use
ONLY
> >these
> >internal services. My initial belief was that my internal DNS
server
>was
> >
> >caching the IP address for the FQDN from an earlier lookup, and
issuing
> >that
> >to subsequent requests, - EVEN after the server had disconnected
&
> >reconnected and obtained (and registered)a different IP. However,
I've