Local CDDB lookups

Folks,

I've been working on a local CDDB lookup application and was after some
opinions/advice. Currently the database has around 281,000 entries and
lookup times vary from 19 seconds to 25 seconds (25 being a failure to find
a disk). I can decrease the time it takes to find a disk to about 7 seconds
provided I don't use the track offsets in my search. The trouble with this
is that some discids are the same so i could end up with more than one
entry listed.

Below is some info on the database structure FYI. The real questions are
basically are these times considered to be too long? and how can I speed
the process up - (other than using SQL Server!!!). To be honest I don't
mind rebuilding the structure of the database (it takes about 90 minutes to
generate the Access DB from the original data) so if there are some
structural mods that should be made then there's no problem.

Essentially when the discid is calculated I also get the total number of
tracks, the cd length (in seconds) and the offset for each track. This
information is used to narrow down (quite a bit!) the selections. I think
that the main problem for me here is speed. It takes more time to do a
local lookup than it does to dialout and connect to (Free)CDDB.. Not good!!
But I'd really like to do as much as possible locally. The machine that's
running the database is a PIII 450, 384 MB Ram and Win 98....

The database is an access (v7) database and has 4 tables

DiscInfo
AlbumInfo
TrackInfo
TrackOffsets

DiskInfo Fields are:

DiskID
MyDiskNo
DiskLength
TrackCount
DiskTitle

AlbumInfo fields are:

DiskID
MyDiskNo
ArtistFirstName
ArtistLastName
TrackCount
DiskTitle
DiskYear
GenreText

TrackInfo fields are:
DiskID
MyDiskNo
TrackNumber
TrackTitle

DiscOffsets fields are:
DiskID
MyDiskNo
TrackNumber
TrackOffset

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

A.

--- Tag-it! v2.0 (c) Andy Powell ,1998,1999,2000...and beyond..

Tell me what you believe and I'll tell you where you're going wrong.