RE: Library Software

In the truest sense of the word i have spent some time working on a similar
project from a linux perspective.

With the aid of some perl, xml and sybase you can do some interesting
things.

I keep track of all my mp3s, vinyl and cds in a sybase database using a xml
DTD as the data type definition.  I use the XML as an appropriate text
format to keep the data in if I need to transform it into other formats,
e.g
onto my revo so i dont go and buy the same cd twice ;-)

Perl acts as the glue and allows access to the database via a web front end
but also allows me to start up xmms with randomized playlists created from
the sybase.  You might want to take a look at the xmms perl module
www.perl.com/CPAN/

Finally through a crontab it builds a playlist of tunes every morning that
is exactly 64mb in size to download onto my rio, and the list can be
massaged based on day of the week, musical style etc.  And yes before
anyone
asks I do actually only download only loud brash music on mondays just to
wake myself up from the weekend haze!

Hope some of this is of interest to you all.

Thanks
Kieran