RE: Refund on faulty ePods from Saltons - International Charges for VAT & C&E

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Refund on faulty ePods from Saltons - International Charges for VAT & C&E
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:13:24 -0800

Hi all,

I have had lots of experience with this!

If you order from US or Canada and the order of goods is over $30 US, you
get charged - that is the law as far as I know. In my experience this is
more often than not the case as all international mail comes through Mount
Pleasant Customs and/or LAMU (London Air Mailing Unit) before being shipped
within the UK for postal deliveries, the way smaller packages come.

If it's shipped by courier it is the responsibility of the courier to get
the VAT/C&E payment from the purchaser, if you are buying DVD's the
only way
around it I've found is to order from DV-Depot in Canada (www.dv-depot.com)
who can ship 7 discs in one go via DHL, you get the package in 3 days with
no extra charges other than the cost of goods and shipping.

I happen to know that if you are a VAT registered business then you ship
the
package to your business address and, in most cases, you should get the VAT
off if it's delivered by courier. If its by Royal Mail - tough you pay up
get the package, that is if they remember to charge you :o)

If the goods are shipped as pre-owned then that does not attract VAT or
Customs charges, so far! Hence if I want something from the US I either,
get
it when I or a friend happens to be there or get someone from there to open
the package, parcel it back up then send it over.

Hope that clears some of it up and helps you all.

Cheers