RE: KAT5 - Progress update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: KAT5 - Progress update
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:27:34 -0000

Title: KAT5 - Progress update
Hi Mark,

As James has already stated, the first units to become available will be

AVS Transmitter and AVS Receiver - S Video and Stereo Audio
 (Can be used for composite + another composite + stereo eg  Stereo + Video and a CCTV camera with no audio)

AVS Video Conferencing
Composite video and mono audio in both directions. Can be used for video conferencing, CCTV Door Entry systems or  Mono + Video to Kids bedroom with KiddieCam+Audio back in the other direction.

All units require a 300mA DC power unit either 12V regulated or 9V unregulated (most unregulated ones are switchable between 3-12 volts) with centre pin positive.

AV connections to all units are via SCART and there is an internal link that can be configured to grab control of the TV when the unit is powered up. The link can either output 12V or 5V to give either 4:3 or 16:9 image on the TV.

This is useful if your main TV is a 16:9 and all your AV kit is set to widescreen. The 4:3 TV relegated to the bedroom would automatically letterbox to give you the correct ratio (subject to the TV being modern enough!)

I have the blank PCB's and have assembled a few units to get an idea of construction time before I finalise the prices. I have also been working on documentation for a possible kit version although it will not be suitable for beginners due to the fine detail on the boards.

I should receive a batch of 20 cases this week along with a supply of spare end panels so that I can finish my router jig that I use to cut the holes. I have proved the concept of using the router to machine the holes but not quite got the measurements exactly right! The edges of the finished holes are excellent.....they are just a bit too big at the moment :-(

The switcher will be a little while yet. All the circuitry has been prototyped, the next step is making a few test boards before getting professional boards made. The difficult part of the switcher will be the mechanical assembly. By design it is a modular unit and I need to devise a low cost method of machining a suitable case and mounting the individual cards. But it will happen. I also need to do some more work on the control methods for the switcher. My original used a BBC B computer but I want the unit to be self contained and controlled by a micro controller. I might call on James for a bit of help with the software ;-)

Right....cant sit here typing all night, I'm going to get the soldering iron out.

Keith