Re: My UN-automated Home :-(

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: My UN-automated Home :-(
  • From: "John Benfield" <john.benfield@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:18:03 +0000

Guys, guys, guys,

Please do not talk about generates with me on line. I'm converting a
proper=
ty at present that is not on the grid (as Dr. John might know). Cost of
con=
nect to the grid is about =A320K, yes that 20,000 pounds. So I'm currently
=
up to my neck in working out power requirements, start-up loaded and all
of=
the rest. For a decent system (20kw+) with a good running life if going to=
be around =A320K in itself (including oil tanks, installation etc etc). If=
I start looking at all of the latest technology, Combined Heat and Power s=
ystems, mini gas turbines (yes seriously), fuels cells (as per the space
sh=
uttle), we're either talking vapour wear (but will be hear in one year,
hon=
est guv) or =A330K minimum.

Personally, if you want a bit of reassurance at home for PC's and the like
=
I would stick to a decent UPS and forget the generation side. You never
kno=
w, next time there's a black out you might find something else to occupy
yo=
u. I believe that in the seventies when there was all of the power cuts
due=
to strikes, nine months later there was a mini baby boom!

Regards
John Benfield

=
plea=
se notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised
=
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
stric=
tly forbidden.

=20