RE: Re: Again singing praises of the KAT5s...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Again singing praises of the KAT5s...
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 04:57:01 +0100

Hi Campbell,

I dont understand exactly what you are saying. I know you have said in the
past that you are sending some Audio and Video directly over CAT5 by using
one leg for signal the other for ground. This is incompatable with KAT5.

KAT5 is a BALANCED system which works by sending a positive and negative
copy of the original signal on the two wires of the pair. At the distant
end
the difference BETWEEN the signals is what recreates the original signal.
Any interference picked up will be picked up EQUALLY on both wires there
for
there is no difference in the interference (NO Difference means NO output)
so NO interference.

KAT5 carries 4 channels Left Audio, Right Audio, Composite Video/S-Video
Luminance, S-Video Chrominance. That uses all 8 wires in the cable so there
is nothing left. If you did leave your existing TV connected to the cable
then you might see some ort of picture or hear some audio depending on what
pairs you have used but the fact you are grounding one leg of each pair
would destroy any of the high quality signal transfer characteristics of
KAT5.

I use
Blue/White = Left Audio
Orange/White = Video/Luma
Green/White = Right Audio
Brown/White = Chroma

If you are saying you have 6 cables (1 source and 6 destination) that are
all joined together then this is also incompatable as the extra cables will
cause reflections and lead to possible ghosting. If you mean that you will
patch to 1 of 5 cables then this is OK.

With a slight modification to the reciever (removing 4 resistors) it is
possible to daisychain multiple receivers from 1 transmitter.

Hope that helps

Keith