X10 input devices & Homeseer

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: X10 input devices & Homeseer
  • From: Dave McLaughlin <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:57:42 +0100

Hi All,

Have just finally got round to getting my home automation system started
again using X10 (I was using the Quantech hardwired system in my previous
hoose) all thanks to my local Homebase store.

What I would like to add to the system is some form of X10 input device to
detect contact closures etc. Basically I want to detect the alarm systems
set status and trigger some scripts. I need a really cheap solution as I
would also like to use these devices elsewhere in the system to trigger
events in Homeseer.

Talking of Homeseer. Has anyone else used this under Windows NT 4.0 or
noticed that the software uses about 99 percent of the system CPU time. I
have noticed a marked slow down of any other software I am running. I don't
have a seperate machine just yet for the running of the home automation
system so my main machine is used for this until such time (and until such
time as I can convince the SWMBO that the HA system is a great idea. So far
slowly) The CPU time decreases to zero or thereabouts when you are in a
dialog box doing setup etc. Not what I would call OS friendly software, as
good as it seems to do the HA job.

Best regards
Dave...