RE: Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?
  • From: "Broadfoot, Kieran J" <Kieran.Broadfoot@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 11:05:47 +0100

Ill dig the code link out at work tommorrow for you.  It doesnt need to
just
run on a TINI as it uses java/commapi so you could run it on most
platforms.

I got to say Heinlein is a great writer.  Still think his best piece was
friday but only because its so descriptive and not quite so caught up in he
details as some of his other books.

sparc 20, cost of those new was about 15k without any added bits and
pieces.
I just decommissioned our old trading floor of sun kit moving to a new
building and given it was such a large project my boss let me have one of
the old boxes.  I found some spares and ended up with a fairly high spac
box.  four ross hyper sparc chips and 512mb, and a mirrored pair of 18gb
drives.  It runs hot ;-)

Sun kit like high end HA systems is expensive.  A good desktop will cost
you
just shy of 10k and most servers (420R upwards) are about 40-45k.  If you
wanted a fully loaded e4500 your average Sun dealership would probably want
about 250k upwards (without any kind of disk chassis!)

Its expensive but it dont stop working ;-)