RE: M****** SOLD + S-Video/Composite Conversion

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: M****** SOLD + S-Video/Composite Conversion
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 02:07:42 +0100

The article has missed the word "FORMER" out between the 3rd and
4th words
of the first paragraph.

"Maplin Electronics, the electronics mecca for UK soldering iron
geeks, "

I actually went into the Norwich Maplin store today just to get one of
their
passive S-Video to Composite converters to try.

*******

Quick Review of QM52 SVHS-Phono Adapter.

I used my PC as the source because it is quite demanding of the TV
displaying the picture. (JVC 25" Nicam).

Direct S-Video gives good legibility of Windows Explorer @ 800x600
Direct Composite gives fair legibility of Windows Explorer @ 800x600

Feeding the converter with composite and converting into S-Video for the TV
gave a picture that was much worse than direct composite. Everything was
noticable "softer", slightly blurry. To be honest I didnt expect
the results
of Composite to S to be very good anyway with a passive filter otherwise
there would be no point in TV manufacturers designeing expensive digital
comb filters into their sets.

Feeding the converter with S-Video and converting into Composite for the TV
gave much better results than the other conversion but I still dont think
the picture was as good as the direct Composite feed.

I've just yet tried it with the DVD player on my 28" Mitsubishi and it
doesnt noticeably show the softening. I think it also looked slightly
clearer feeding composite into the TV as S-Video rather than composite but
there want much in it.

For normal programme type material it should be fine but for PC graphics
and
text, forget it. Most PC Graphics cards with TVOut have both signals
avalable anyway.

In short, for a fiver its might be worth trying one for those composite
sources  you want to feed into an AV amp as S-Video (eg VCR, Digibox etc),
but if you have both signal types available use the native signal as any
passive conversion will cause slight degradation.

Keith