Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2001 12:24 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] ProntoPro, Clipsal Sockets and Faceplates

Sorry Mike but what sort of high-end dealers do you know who do this? I know a few and most of them would never consider putting a Pronto into a high end system mixed with Crestron / AMX etc.

The ones I do know who do use Prontos also use Lexicon and make a damn good job of programming up the kit that they sell and the systems that they put together to make sure everything does work as it should - transparently.

In the "high end" (!) systems that I've seen (or heard discussed) where Prontos have been used they've never been truly "high end" - the Pronto is far too limited for use in a properly conceived high end system. Don't get me wrong ... I'm not knocking the Pronto - I have two and couldn't manage without then - but it's a send only device. It cannot report status. It makes a good universal remote in systems that are more complex than the average but that's as far as it goes. Philips are overstretching their reach on this one ... at £400 - £450 I *MIGHT* go for the colour Pronto but at £700 I think not. Similarly, these people with money to burn are going to want something more responsive than a Pronto and so should be stumping up a bit more (£1k) to get another Crestron panel.

I just think Philips have buggered up their market research here...

Phil