RE: Computer Video and KAT5

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Computer Video and KAT5
  • From: Robert Chasmer <robert.chasmer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:05:58 +0100

Keith Doxey wrote:
> Anything above 800x600 is a no-no without a Prograde scan
> converter. Even then you have to throw information away. A TV
> will just about display 600 lines.
>
> Look at www.vinemicros.co.uk but be prepared to spend serious
> money for a good one. It will still look inferior to a PC Graphics
> card with TVOut because the graphics card will generate the picture
> for the TV rather than having to convert a monitor signal.

I've had a look at the site.  There seem to be two products one for just
under 190ukp, and one for 300ukp.  I'll probably go for the cheaper one.

> Can the RiscPC not run at lower res modes line the early Archimedes
> could. they could be connected to a TV or a 15kHz monitor.

Well yes and no.  Like you say the Archimemedes had lots of low res 15khz
modes like Mode 15 (256 colours at a low res).  As well as having higher
res
VGA modes (mode 21 - 640x480).  You'd normally have a multi-sync monitor
connected to an Arc so all modes looked ok.

With the RiscPC you'd have a normal SVGA monitor, which isn't capable of
displaying the low res modes.  So these modes are bodged to run at 60hz or
100hz rather than 50hz to get them working.

I want to be able to display the higher res's on both a monitor and TV at
the same time.  So time to hand over lots of money, I guess its a handy
thing to own anyway.  When I get a new PC, I'll probably make sure I get a
graphics card with S-Video out as well.

> The rgbtosvideo unit is for the RGB output of a Digibox or DVD
> player which is 50Hz/15.625kHz unlike SVGA which is >56Hz/>38kHz
> depending on graphics card but 56/38k minimum. A TV will not display
> that frequency.

So I'll be needing one of these as well then if I get Sky Digital.

> Collected the next batch of PCB's for KAT5 today so its back
> in production :-))

I get paid at the end of the month so, I'll try and sneak my order in then,
and hope my GF doesn't notice.

Cheers

Rob
--