RE: Keeping Homebase in business....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Keeping Homebase in business....
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:06:54 +0100

>*grin* Did you buy your venting kit at £1? I bought about 5 as I
thought
>I'd
>hook up vent points in several rooms and Homebase got shirty saying
that
>they were intended to be sold 1 per AC unit.

£1?? -- I got one, but I didn't pay anything for it.... - I told the
checkout girl it was included with the unit (plus the vent kit box didn't
have a barcode on it, so she couldn't scan it..)

> [...]
possibly a fan
>as
> > well to move air between them if necessary. (I know loft's can
get
>hideously
> > hot, - I've been up in my brother-in-laws! I also plan to put an
>extractor
> > in one gable end wall, immediately adjacent to where the new Node
0
>location
> > is going to be. Hopefully, with all that forced air movement
going on
> > already, the ACU shouldn't have to work too hard just to lower
the temp
>of
> > the air in the room by a couple of degrees, but I have to figure
out
>where
> > to site the unit so I don't just lose all the cooled air straight
>outside
> > due that ventilation, as A/C systems are supposed to be closed to
get
>the
> > optimum benefit.... However, I suspect that once I'e got all my
kit up
> > there, I would need more than one of these to provide adequate
cooling,
>so
> > think I will need to to remove some some of the hot air from the
space
>by
> > other means, hence the plan to have an extractor right next to
node 0.

>I think you'll find the forced air movement makes the AC have to work
>harder
>and may be sufficient on its own (without the AC) ... if you're drawing
air
>through the room then you're drawing out the air that the AC has
already
>chilled (as you say). The CoolFlow itself expells rather a lot of hot
and
>stale air and I would suggest that rather than have additional
extractors
>in
>the room you consider more where the air that is being drawn into the
room
>to replace that expelled by the AC is coming from. If it's running long
>term
>then they do well at keeping a room very cool through the day however
they
>don't have the capacity for cooling down a hot room that the split
units
>have. My sugestion would be for Node 0 to be sealed as far as possible
and
>have some pretty meaty air circulation to the outside world ... that
should
>keep it cool enough ... and use the AC to lower the temperature in the
>loft.
>Also, insulate the vent pipe for the AC ... it gets hot enough to make

Hmm.. - I had wondered exactly how to manage the A/C & ventilation, cos
as
you say, I do realise that ACU's are best in a closed environment.
I like the idea of sealing off the Node 0 location, and I had considered
that - keep all the hot air from all the PC's & stuff in one place, and
force it outside as soon as possible...

As you can probably tell, I haven't really thought all this through yet! -
I've only just got SWMBO's approval to have the loft converted, and It's
going to be many months yet before any work starts! - I just wanted to get
one of these units now while they're available...

Now, where's the Yellow pages, - gotta go & find an architect to do
some
drawings for me....

Paul G.