RE: Keeping Homebase in business....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Keeping Homebase in business....
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:43:15 +0100

> You are correct sir, it is the Novum Clooflow 7000. They also had the
9000,
> but that was priced up at £238, which SWMBO balked at a little bit, so
> decided to quite while I was ahead....

*grin* Did you buy your venting kit at £1? I bought about 5 as I thought
I'd
hook up vent points in several rooms and Homebase got shirty saying that
they were intended to be sold 1 per AC unit.

> You lucky ****er!  :-)

Why thankyou sir...

> This unit is intended for my loft, where after the conversion, there
will
be
> two velux roof windows on opposite sides of the roof, and possibly a
fan
as
> well to move air between them if necessary. (I know loft's can get
hideously
> hot, - I've been up in my brother-in-laws! I also plan to put an
extractor
> in one gable end wall, immediately adjacent to where the new Node 0
location
> is going to be. Hopefully, with all that forced air movement going on
> already, the ACU shouldn't have to work too hard just to lower the
temp of
> the air in the room by a couple of degrees, but I have to figure out
where
> to site the unit so I don't just lose all the cooled air straight
outside
> due that ventilation, as A/C systems are supposed to be closed to get
the
> optimum benefit.... However, I suspect that once I'e got all my kit up
> there, I would need more than one of these to provide adequate
cooling, so
> think I will need to to remove some some of the hot air from the space
by
> other means, hence the plan to have an extractor right next to node 0.

I think you'll find the forced air movement makes the AC have to work
harder
and may be sufficient on its own (without the AC) ... if you're drawing air
through the room then you're drawing out the air that the AC has already
chilled (as you say). The CoolFlow itself expells rather a lot of hot and
stale air and I would suggest that rather than have additional extractors
in
the room you consider more where the air that is being drawn into the room
to replace that expelled by the AC is coming from. If it's running long
term
then they do well at keeping a room very cool through the day however they
don't have the capacity for cooling down a hot room that the split units
have. My sugestion would be for Node 0 to be sealed as far as possible and
have some pretty meaty air circulation to the outside world ... that should
keep it cool enough ... and use the AC to lower the temperature in the
loft.
Also, insulate the vent pipe for the AC ... it gets hot enough to make
quite
an effective radiator!

> I bought a fan as well for the bedroom ceiling - £37.99 - no lights on
it,
> just a fan, all chrome & shiny! - lovely!

You kinky devil you!

Phil