RE: Consumer Units

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Consumer Units
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:46:26 +0100

> Hi, whilst at HomeBase I looked at the Consumer Units. They
> had a split load
> (or something like that) 11 way box for around 100GBP and an
> 11 way box for
> 25GBP, can someone tell me what this means?

A split unit has two live and two neutral rails inside instead of one, they
also have two isolators one is a main isolator witch cuts all the power the
other is contains a residual current sensor which cuts the power to that
section of the panel is the live and neutral currents are out of balance,
in
other words there is a earth fault.

If you are wiring from a main split unit you don't need another for your
other consumer units because you will already have protection if you have
taken the supply from the proctecded side of the split unit

You shold also check the current wiring regs to make sure what you want to
do is ok.

> I have an old house which has just had a new Digital Meter
> with an isolator
> switch fitted with view to having a modern Consumer Fitted by the
> professionals. then I wanted to be able to take power from this to a
> consumer unit (or 2) at Node 0, I am not sure if this is a
> DIY job or not, I
> do not have a problem with wiring as long as I have a diagram
> to follow (I
> could not design the house wiring from scratch).

It depends. You need to tell the fitter what you want to do, only the elec
board is allowed to make the connection between the meter and the consumer
unit, you have to supply the tails. Also there is a maximum distance, I am
not sure but i think it is in the region of a couple of feet. So if you are
going from a MCB in a unit out to another consumer unit you could do it.
You
will need to work out what load you are going to use and make sure the
cable
between the units is up to it.

If you are not sure get someone else to do it.

John