Re: FM transmitters

One of the reasons I didn't get on too well with the Manager of Maplin's
Glasgow (not the current manager, I stress: Gavin is a decent bloke) I was
bit too "ethical" for his likes.

"no sir, I will not help you with your design for a Radio control
jammer."

I got pretty good at spotting the parts list for a bug, and in once case
had
a truly shifty guy wander up and start asking about blooteringly silly
values of Capacitors, and being rather pointed about what happened when you
rapidly discharged them..

not questions like "what rating would a resistor have to have to
handle that
current", more like "how hot would that get, and how fast?"

when he presented a parts list riddled with High Value caps, 555 timers,
some high wattage resistors, and some chunky cable, we looked at him oddly.
when he asked where he could buy meths in 5L containers, we told him to
bugger off, and phoned RS and Taits with a rough description...

Still, I remember a guy coming in to show us a set of walkie talkies he had
got on Holiday in Italy (they must have been well illegal there too) These
things were monstous in size, like an army field phone, and broadcast slap
in the middle of the 88-108 band, but the rated power on them was 5W. 5W!!
right beside your head! He couldn't get the point that the "massive
range"
wasnt really a good thing.....

Shudder. I forgot how disturbing working with the great unwashed actually
was...

Ian.