Re: OT: OCR was New Speed Camera's

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: OCR was New Speed Camera's
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:10:07 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., Keith Doxey <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Likewise.
>
> We have a demo system at work which reads numberplates as people
drive in
> the main gate to the site as <5mph. It doesnt always read it right
even with
> good lighting.

My PhD was to do with this sort of thing, back in those days I
started working on a XT, but later ported to a 286. Much of the
recoginition part was in assembler, the front end was in pascal. The
task was to recoginise patterns in punched cards (like 80 col cards
but with round holes up to 720 holes of different sizes) as they
travelled in fornt of a camra, the target was to process one image
every 2 seconds, when I finished I could do 5 per second, that
inculded analysing the code stored in the card.

In my case like the numberplate reader the big problem is not having
a datum to work to, you have to find the number plate in the image,
just as I had to find the card, it could go anyware in the field of
view. Also the numbers on the plate do not start at a set position,
the same was true in my case the holes were not placed relative to
the edge of the card bu relative to each other. The point I am making
is the recognition part is fairly easy, its finding the image to
process that the problem. From memory about 80% of the processing was
to find the start point and angle of the image.

If this can be done with a 286, I am sure it will not be to long
before the men in blue will be very very good at this, Remember they
also dont have to do it in real time, the image can be stored and
processed, the system can spend longer on difficult images if needed

If you speed a lot watch out, it will not be long before that hoax
email _will_ be fact.

John (No points at the moment) Tankard