Re: Light Bulb Life, was: Re: Re: [Development] Lights functions required

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Light Bulb Life, was: Re: Re: [Development] Lights functions required
  • From: "Nick Broughton" <mail@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:49:11 +0100

I always try and swap bulbs in multiples.  There are 12, 40 watt bulbs in
the ceiling lights of the living room.  When one goes I always wait for
another to go before I get the 'steps' out.  Sod's law still dictates that
another will go within about 48 hours of changing them!

On the longevity subject, my dad has a light bulb that's been in his garage
(well 3 garages and counting now for about 30 years!).  Did somebody say
Philips everlasting?

Is it also true that the failure probability of a lightbulb approximates to
the 'bathtub curve'?  In case I'm talking 'Nickspeak', it's a curve that
resembles the profile of the inside of a standard tub, working away from
the
taps, i.e. it starts high, rapidly drops to a fairly low value which it
maintains for a good while and then goes up again fairly sharp, although
not
as sharp as it went down.  This always seemed to make sense as
manufacturing
flaws could be expected to cause a high initial faailure rate, but this
neveer seems to happen anymore.

Have I nothing better to do....