RE: Newbie Questions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie Questions
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:24:35 -0000

You can get a battery pack for the x10 cam but the reviews of the cam
itself
aren't great.

If you are a PC programming type whiz you might want to take a look at
Misterhouse as your controlling software (written in Perl and very much a
customisers tool) Like a lot of others I have tried voice control but find
it
a bit unreliable for everyday use.

Mick

> I'm not sure about the X10 'Wireless' camera
> as it needs a wire for its power supply!!! I use two basic B&Q
cameras
> plugged into WINTV cards. Works for me. You can use voice control but
it is
> hard work at times which, personally speaking defeats the purpose of
HA. I
> tried it for a week but gave up after finding myself standing 3ft from
the
> lightswitch and repeating "Living Room Light on" 4 times!! I
began to look
> like a loon. There are some on this list who have it Voice control
working
> well and I'm sure they will respond.
> Simple questions are what this list is all about :-) Ask one and you
will
> get excellent answers before the core group go off on a tangent only
> return 40 messages later :-)
>
> With regards to your funny power requirements - someone wil know the
score
> on that one, probably before I finish this message!
>
> Have fun.
>
> Michael
> BELFAST

Playback/Voice
> > Recognition etc.
> >
> > Anyway, I've been thinking that it might be good to add a little
> > Automation
> > to the equation: specifically light's and perhaps some basic
appliance
> > control. I also want
> > To install a camera or two to use with my P.C. / Projector for
Video
> > conferencing and stuff...
> >
> > What I'm looking for now are some recommendations on where I
> > should start on
> > the Automation side. I am a whiz with PC / Cabling etc. but not
much of an
> > electrician. ;-]
> >
> > Specific Questions:
> >
> > Is X10 the only and best option? Who is the cheapest UK supplier?
Are the
> > X10 wireless camera's any good? Will I be able to use a voice
control
> > application such as Dragon Naturally Speaking Prefferred to
control X10
> > hardware?
> >
> > Also are any of you aware of any problems I may encounter taking
X10