RE: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:56:19 +0100

Perhaps I wasn't clear. In Europe it is common to use RGB over SCART for
quality signals. On most domestic TVs there isn't much of a difference
between the quality of an Svideo signal and RGB. You'd have to have very
poor eyesight to consider a composite signal when you've seen Svideo or
RGB.
Anyone who has an AV amp is more likely than not to want decent picture
quality. I have yet to see a DVD player, or decent VCR that doesn't have an
Svideo socket on the back. Even if the TV concerned didn't have a Svideo
socket, it is not that hard to find a lead wired to go from the Svideo
socket on the back of the AV amp to a suitably equipped Scart socket at the
other end.

> >The current hardware is perfectly capable of generating an Svideo
signal,
> >but Sky for reasons known only to themselves won't switch it on.
>
> Because the product is aimed at the mass markets only. Those who care
will
> purchase convertors. If the digibox *did* have S-Video output,
> guys like us
> would only bitch at how poor the quality was anyways...

I'm sure that this year thousands of Denon AVR3801s will slide off the
shelves (entry level but fabulous AV processor), and their owners would
like
to route the Sky signal through it. It is fine to expect me to go out and
spend money on a converter, all they should have to do is buy a cable with
Scart plug (horrible interface - convenience over quality) on one end and
an
Svideo plug on the other.

What I'd really like to see is an Svideo output socket on the new box with
widescreen switching on the chrominance pin, but somehow I think I'll be
keeping my converter box!

I think you do the mass market a disservice. There is a large pool of
bottom
feeders who are happy with a cheap Matsui TV, and only ever watch Sky One,
but there are also a not insignificant number of people who are prepared to
spend a bit more, and get both better quality programming and quality
pictures.

I *think* that the reason it was disabled was due to some mis-placed fears
that it would be easy to defeat macrovision with an Svideo output - though
if you're going to go to the trouble of building a box to do that, then
converting to Svideo is hardly going to be a challenge!

I don't think we're being pedantic. You pooh-poohed the suggestion that it
was an omission on the back of the current box and it was a US standard.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Tim.