Re: CD autochangers...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CD autochangers...
  • From: Colin Bradford <colin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:09:14 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Phil Harris wrote:

> Does anyone use a CD autochanger (preferably the Sony CDPCX450 400
disc
> unit) and would they be prepared to give me some feedback on how they
find
> them in use?
>
> I have a 300 disc DVD changer which I rather like and would like to
get one
> for CDs too ... easy route to whole house audio without MP3!

Yes - I've got the Sony CDP-CX 200. I find it a little noisy changing CD
- it's in my TV room, and if you're sitting in there watching TV and
someone else is listening to a CD it's a bit annoying. They don't like
being moved with the CDs in - this tends to cause the CDs to fall out of
the carousel. Sounds quality is OK - there is a mod that gives you an
SP/DIF output, but I haven't got round to that yet.

Keeping track of the CDs is a challenge - the CDPCX200 only tells you
the disk number. I've got an 8051 connected to a TINI which gives me a
web interface, calling a java servlet on a web server which looks the
track up in an Oracle 8i database. That's what comes from being a
software developer and working from home. . . .

Cheers,

COlin.

--
Colin Bradford, Forrester Research
Charlotte House, 9-14 Windmill Street, London W1P 1HF UK