Re: Sky Digital Advice

>From our experience only, of course:

> for a long time, if ever. I don't want On Digital due to the
restricted
> selection of channels and so Sky seems to be the answer. however I
know
> nothing about satellite at all so I have a few questions that I'm sure
you
> lot can answer.

Also, because ONDigital's quality is *dire* Sky Digital is a good choice!

> 1. Is now a good time to buy, or are there some changes in kit or
service
> just around the corner that are worth waiting for (I am happy to wait
> couple of months if that is worth while).

Rumours of the Tivo/Dual LNBPace box abound, but no-one has seen one in the
skinny. Personally, I would go for it. (and have)

> 2. What kit should I get and from where, are there any special deals I
> should look out for.

The boxes are all specced by Sky themselves, so there is little variation.
the Grundig box has SPDIF Audio out which would be nice, and I believe a
Panasonic one has  S-Video out, but other than that, a box is a box... the
dishes are standarised.

Standard deal is free box if you agree to be a marketing pimp for a
year/dish installation is $40 if you sign up to Sky Digital Subscription,
£100 if not.

> 3. Can I stipulate where I have the kit installed, for example if I
want
the
> dish in the garden instead of on the house, if I want the tuner (or
what
> ever you call the digital box) in my office even though there is no TV
> there.

Down to installer, but the guys are only insured for certain things, and
will *not* deviate from these. if you are prepared to cough up for a custom
install, you can specify where etc..

> 4. Will the installer throw a wobbly when he sees that I have no
'normal'
> phone sockets and that instead I have CAT5 sockets with plug in
> converters, wired back to a patch panel which is in turn wired back to
> set of Krone blocks that split the feed from the Comfort system that
is in
turn fed by
> the analogue port of the Terminal Adapter that is connected to the
ISDN2e
> box!

Not at all: the installer has one test: does it dial up correctly? if it
does, he cares not a jot how you get the phone there...

> 5. Are there any other questions I should be asking and what are the
> answers!

Do I rent a lot of videos, and should I get the movie channels thrown in?