Re: ShowShifter/snapstream

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: ShowShifter/snapstream
  • From: "james" <James@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:07:32 +0100

I have both snapstream and showshifter and they work very nicely together.
Snapstream runs on my server with a wintv card and does all the recording,
it can be programmed remotely from a web browser or with a plug in from
digiguide, which is as simple as right click and then on record.
Showshifter runs on a smaller machine under my telly which has a ATI AIW
pro
card.  I use this to watch telly and using the network to view the files
from the server that snapstream has recorded.  Showshifter can also do mp3
playback accoss the network, as well as local recording, timeshifting and
DVD playback(not using dvd on this yet)
The advantage of snapstream on the server is it's web streaming and control
from both internet/intranet allowing file viewing from any local
machine/internet/PocketPC/Showshifter using the asf file format. It also
runs a tray icon so it keeps out the way.
Showshifter with its big buttons and playback options is really only of use
with a tv and a viewing a few feet away with a remote.
WinTV is fine for snapstream but don't use it for showshifter.  Its display
quality has alot more interference lines than the ATI.  Also avoid the AIW
Radeon it's drivers are buggy and showshifter doesn't like it.  Other than
the SPDIF output it has the same capture chip as the AIW pro anyway and the
AIW pro is alot cheaper. Got mine in pc world for £69 after it was
incorrectly marked up, should be about £130 ;-)

James
(another lurker coming out the woodwork)