RE: What holes to make in the wall whilst I'm in the mood...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: What holes to make in the wall whilst I'm in the mood...
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 19:57:55 +0100

Power and CAT5 for windows.

Ant has built his own motorised curtains from an idea I gave him using an
old Wiper Motor. Being a bit posher than me he shelled out loads-a-money
for
a Rover motor when any old banger will do :-)

Whatever you end up doing it will require power, either mains or low
voltage
at a fairly high current 4 or 5 amps. Run a 3 core lex back to a cupboard
where you can then either fit a fused spur to send mains to the window, or
the power supply for a 12v motor etc. The CAT5 will either be needed for
direct signalling to a purpose made track or for sensors on a homebrew.

Mark ran CAT5 to a box adjacent to every doorway for
Volume/Keypad/Whatever.
You can always blank it off. You can also get plastic covers that are used
when plastering, these fit just inside the box to prevent it filling with
plaster. You plaster over it then when finished you tap the plaster which
cracks and you pull the cover out. Filling the box with newspaper and a
cardboard cover would acheive the same effect. If you dont use it straight
away it will be invisible once papered/painted over. When you need it just
open it up. No need to redecorate :-)

HTH

Keith