RE: Re: What holes to make in the wall whilst I'm in the mood...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: What holes to make in the wall whilst I'm in the mood...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:01:08 +0100

> I asked a while back about the possibility of putting Cat5e in the
> same conduit as the light switch and I was advised it was not a good
> thing to do. Therefore I was going to chase some more conduit into
> the wall and put another single box next to the light switch with a
> couple of runs of Cat5e in it.

Agreed that it's not good if you're using it for data but if being used for
low voltage switching or control the I myself wouldn't worry however for
data I would run it away from mains.

> If I run Cat5e and 2.5mm twin and earth to the window how/where
> should I terminate it?

Leave it coiled behind blanking plates, tape the ends of the T&E just
in
case.

> FYI I now have 7 double sockets in the room, plus a double clipsal
> plate with 4 cat5e's and two coaxes so I think thats probably going
> to be enough.

I'm trying to work out how to install at least 20 sockets at waist height
and probably another 16 at floor height in our fourth bedroom (my
"computer
room") ... and that only just covers (with 8 spare) what I use in
there at
the moment!

> Also (fortunately) I don't have a SWMBO so I can do what the hell I
> like!!!

Lucky B**tard!

Phil