RE: Automating the loo lights and other cool stuff- was: Re: "Breaking" the latch on a pull switch

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Automating the loo lights and other cool stuff- was: Re: "Breaking" the latch on a pull switch
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:01:08 +0100

On the subject of HV I can only say that I think it is the best creation
since the bread slicer! It is well worth the money IMO and the backup from
Craig at CSI and Mike at Let's Automate has been, well, outstanding really
way above and beyond the call of duty. I had a couple of problems recently
with the MFEB and the service from CSI was extremely quick and very, very
good I'm sure anyone else that's had any kind of problem would echo that.

It is far more than just an input board and unless you want voice control
or
announcements it saves running a PC 24/7 to deal with the automation stuff.
The control on offer is just superb, as is the programming and easy too,
even I managed it - a total novice ;-)

Expandability it has via the phone/serial device, port extenders, Sylvia
boards and the Multi Function Expansion Board - plenty if you ask me and,
it's reliable to boot!

I know what you mean about dimmable halogen, this is a pain as most modern
LV lighting systems seem to use electronic transformers although some of
the
cheaper Ring sets do use wire-wound ones as they are cheaper to make in
third world countries and the far east apparently. I want the tiny little
LV
halogens in the kitchen and the bathroom when I do them up, set in a
pattern
and some to not engage at night and those that do dimmed - doubt I'll have
to compromise a bit on that one though!

The lights in the cooker hood should be fairly straightforward, it's the
fan
operation that could be a real pain to achieve, well via X10 anyways.

So far in the new house, I have put a Leviton switch outside the bathroom
downstairs, this controls lights in the kitchen, bathroom and foyer as this
switch resides at the junction of all these rooms, expensive solution, but
very good to date and 100% reliable since it was installed about a month or
so ago. This gives local control via X10 - but it will be automated fully
sooner rather than later as I still leave the bloody lights on!! Three
months since I had an automated bog and I still do it - twice last night,
although the Vodka probably swayed that one ;-)

K.