Re: OT w2k install help.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT w2k install help.
  • From: "Matt Pavall" <matt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:52:54 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@i...>
wrote:
> I'm ready to install win2k on my newly purchased Sony Vaio C1VE but
I've run into a problem. I have an upgrade from win2k workstation,
and don't have a CD drive. I was planning to install from an i386
folder on the D: partition, but once the file copy is over it bombs
out from setup with a message that Windows NT is not installed on the
machine. Is there a way of getting around this without installing NT?

> I want to do a clean install of Win2k, not an upgrade from NT4.
>
> Any ideas? I seem to remember it only being a difference in a
single file.

> Tim.

I haven't actually tried this myself but someone sent this to me:

-----------------------------8<-----------------------------------

Windows 2000 <Product> Setup

Setup could not locate the Windows installation you want to
upgrade.

Contact your system administrator.

CAUSE
=====

Windows 2000 Setup performs the checks listed below to locate the
are attempting to upgrade. These checks are performed after the first
restart when you run
the Upgrade Wizard or Winnt32.exe to perform the upgrade. If any of
these checks does not
succeed, the error message is displayed.

- Setup looks for a valid path to the registry files using the
C:\Boot.ini
file.

- Setup loads the System registry hive for each operating system
entry found in the
Boot.ini file and extracts the
Setup\UniqueID:REG_SZ:C:WINNT\<Unique_ID> value.

- Setup compares the UniqueID entry in the System hive with the
c:\$win_nt$.~bt\winnt.sif
file's uniqueID entry under the [data] section. After a match is
found, Setup continues
with the next step for that Boot.ini installation.

- Setup loads the Software registry hive of the installation found.

- Setup checks for a %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. The Ntoskrnl.exe
and Ntdll.dll files
must be present.

- Setup checks for a %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder.

RESOLUTION
==========

You can troubleshoot each of the items listed above by looking at
each requirement and
making sure it is met.

1. Open the Boot.ini file with Notepad (or boot to Recovery Console)
and make sure a valid
ARC path is defined that points to the previous installation.

2. Use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to view the unique ID setting
in the following
location, and compare it to the UniqueID entry in the
c:\$win_nt$.~bt\winnt.sif file:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\uniqueid

3. Check the file permissions on the directory structure if you are
using the NTFS file
system. Make sure that SYSTEM has full control.

4. Create a "dummy" directory structure on a separate drive or
partition (for example,
D:\Wintest\System32...) and copy the required files to the new
directories. Then, using
Ntbackup.exe, create an emergency repair disk (ERD) and choose the
option to also back up
the registry files to the repair folder. Using a copy of the registry
files in the current
%SystemRoot%\Repair\Regback folder, populate the "dummy"
...\Config
folder with the system
and software files. Finally, create a C:\Boot.ini file entry to
represent the "dummy"
directory structure. Restart the computer.

If Setup recognizes the "dummy" structure as a valid installation
continue the upgrade,
you can assume that all the requirements are met, but that you need
to troubleshoot the
original directory structure for problems.