RE: CAT 5 testers - Maplin

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: CAT 5 testers - Maplin
  • From: "Steve Gordon" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:09:00 +0100

Kieth and Tracey and others,

Thanks for the responses. For some reason I couldn't hook up to Maplins
earlier so couldn't get numbers or prices.

The Rapid stuff does look good value but I needed it today so unfortunately
was unsuitable. (Though just ordered a catalogue from them, seemed very
helpfull).

Tracey I have plumped for the ZY78K one partly because the branch I was
closest to only had the ZY77J and the ZY78K. The problem with the 77 was
that it only tests connected loop or cable, so I would have to have run a
seperate lead between the port and the Patch panel to test the insalled
cable and terminations. (This seems like hard work)

The 78 has a remote unit that you shove on the port to check the cabling.
This picks up power from the opposite unit at the patch panel end.

Work find spotted the problem with both ports that were tested.

Steve