Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: patrickl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 05:55:33 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@d...> wrote:
> Has anyone given any thought to the target component prices for a
device
> like this?

[snip]
> I am of course assuming people want a 40 Char. x 8 Lines/240 x 64
pixels
> display and some sort of membrane type keyboard...I get over ?100
not
> including case cabling etc for a 'dumb lcd/kbd.

Case should be inexpensive given that we've been talking about wall
gang boxes as a the format (ie it's actually just a front panel).

LCDs drop in price substantially for bigger volumes; they are
expensive, but I'd be prepared to bulk-buy and sell the stock on at
cost if there was sufficient initial interest. I had envisaged that
there the device would support a variety of display formats -
including one line devices - depending on application.

Membrane keyboard _may_ be overkill; again they are cheap in volume,
but it's easy to get a professional finish with ordinary push
buttons. Initial designs discussed the idea of no more than 5 buttons.

You're right... they're not going to be a cheap/a tenner a piece -
but if they ever see the light of day, they should offer a lot of
functionality/better value than the commercially available stuff
today.

Patrick