RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:29:07 +0100

Sorry, Ant, but I think this is bollocks!

;-)   <--- deliberately inserted cheesy grin

There's absolutely nothing to stop a 'server' initiating a connection to a
'client' device, it's just that the 'client' needs to be able to accept a
HTTP connection.

People assume that HTTP is one-way because they're used to the WWW model
where browsers interact with servers. However, HTTP, being nothing more
than
a connectionless protocol, works just as well in a peer-to-peer model where
devices act as both client and server. You can even see this to an extent
with application architectures such as .NET, where a web server may act as
the client to another server using SOAP.

Server-client communication using HTTP doesn't work well in a standard
browser-based environment because HTTP is connectionless. It'll work fine
if
a 'peer' wants to tell another 'peer' that something as happened, it just
can't do it within the context of a connection unless additional context
information is included, if you get my drift.

I disagree that running a HTTP client and a HTTP server would lead to a
horrible and inefficient design. A HTTP server can be very simple (there's
several available for TINI alone) and a HTTP client even simpler,
especially
as it's not a browser.

FWIW, I reckon that SOAP would still be an excellent way to go. You don't
really need a full-blown XML parser to implement it, if you keep the
constructs simple, but it makes it a piece of cake to extend. The overhead
of a SOAP envelope would be more than compensated for by the ease of
integration into virtually any client - if there's sufficient capacity in
the micro.

Cheers,
Steve