RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:56:49 +0100

It might be worth looking at this guy's site (I think he works for NASA or
something ;).

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/ha.htm

Looks like he has homebrewed a fair chunk of what the project might want to
do but using the technology available a few years ago (so no rabbit stew
;)...not always doing things the ways being discussed here ...but the
solving the same problems. Interestingly he has come to the same
conclusions
as our hardware gurus about using 1 wire or rs232 (ie don't if it is a
critical control functionuse RS485 instead). He also supports a simple
protocol for talking to devices...like as simple as calling node,called
node, message,end message. The site is a bit disjointed but I found it
interesting reading. In particular his thermostat node has something that
has been discussed here in the way of totally graceful degradation of
functionality (so you dont fry or freeze if something breaks).

Mick