RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: Ant Skelton <fourstringmother@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:15:05 -0700 (PDT)

> I agree a simple socket based network protocol is
> more than adequate.  Do we
> need the complexity of IM or IRC though?  Take a
> look at smtp or ftp for
> instance.  The handshaking and comms is very simple
> and pretty much as much
> complexity as we need.

Arse, I seem to have confused everyone ;) I was using
IM as an example of two way symmetric communications,
c.f. using web-browsing as an example of ephemeral
asymmetric connections.

Absolutely the last thing I want to do is entrust
anything in my house to the likes of AIM ;)

You're spot on with smtp/ftp - we want something
equivalently simple, preferably human readable,
flexible enough to be used by a wide variety of
devices, and which allows for future expansion /
revision as we think of more stuff.

Actually, now I think about it, maybe SNMP is the way
to go, or at we could at least look at is a jumping
off point. Normally I wouldn't recommend SNMP for
anything more strenuous than propping up a wonky
table, but it does address a lot of the same issues.

ant