RE: CAT5 wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: CAT5 wiring
  • From: "Steve Cooper" <steve.cooper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:19:16 +0100

Graham

Cheers that sounds just the ticket.  I think I'll adopt a similar approach
of match CAT5 colour to Alarm cable colour.

Steve

"Graham Howe"
<graham@solar        To:     <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
fish.com>            cc:
Subject:     RE: [ukha_d] CAT5 wiring
04/06/01
11:46
Please
respond to
ukha_d

I based mine on a comparison with the wiring found in the 8 core alarm
cable
I have. So in the alarm cable I have the following colours:

White
Orange
Yellow
Green
Black
Blue
Red
Brown

I mapped these to CAT5 as follows:

White  -> White/Orange
Orange -> Orange
Yellow -> White/Green
Green  -> Green
Black  -> White/Blue
Blue   -> Blue
Red    -> White/Brown
Brown  -> Brown

Then looking at the PIR I connected as follows:

0V - White/Blue (equivalent to black)
12V -> White/Brown (equivalent to red)
Alarm -> White/Blue and Blue
Tamper -> White/Green and Green
I have also included an IR receiver in the PIR which needs 0V, 12V and
Signal so I also have
Signal -> Brown

Then things get a little more complicated (or simpler depending on what way
you look at it) as I have Comfort as my alarm system and have set it up for
double end of line resistors in my PIRs. This means I have two resistors
inside the unit which connect across the alarm and tamper contacts (details
are in the Comfort guide) and this actually reduces the number of wires
required. So I end up with the following:

OV -> White/Blue
12V -> White/Brown
Alarm/Tamper -> White/Blue and Blue
IR Rx Signal -> Brown
and three spare wires (anyone got suggestions?)

BTW all my PIRs are plugged in to RJ45 faceplates (yes it does mean I get a
tamper alarm if they are unplugged, but I use a specfic colour boot which
indicates which should never be unplugged) and so need to terminate the
cable with a RJ45 plug. When terminating CAT5 I use the
WOra/Ora/WGrn/Blu/WBlu/Grn/WBrn/Brn and if terminating alarm cable (used
for
Comfort Keypads and Doorphone) I use the same mapping shown above. So alarm
cable would fit in to RJ45 plug with
White/Orange/Yellow/Blue/Black/Green/Red/Brown.

Using this notation I have not yet had any wiring problems and I have
written this email without refering to any of my notes or checking any
applications, I find it really easy to remember.

Graham