RE: [Project] RFC re Bulkhead (98k attachment)

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [Project] RFC re Bulkhead (98k attachment)
  • From: Keith Doxey <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:18:48 +0100

Hi Ken

The CRESTRON remotes control nothing but the Crestron unit in much the same
way as people are using Pronto to drive their Homevision.

Homevision is way easier to program than Crestron and IMHO much more user
freindly. You can buy a Homevision for less than the cost of a Crestron IR
Learner.

What I was saying was to use the iPaq as the Remote. If you have a web
front
end to Homevision or similar that does the IR work for you.

The Pronto is a superb remote but that is all it is. (I dont actually have
Pronto or Epod). A PDA or Webtablet gives you so much more. You can use it
as a remote but you can also use it for normal computing tasks. People with
PDA's keep them with them most of the time so you always have your remote
hand and being wireless it gives you feedback on what you have done.

You can get the TV guide on it and just click the program you want to
watch,
then the command goes to the HA Controller and changes the TV for you.

I fully agree that Crestron is way beyond most peoples budgets, but what I
envisage is an affordable, CUSTOMISABLE, modular system where you get the
bits you want and dont get the bits you dont want.

What is essential to meet WAF is that the system should be user freindly
and
as close to 100% relaiable as it is possible to get. That is why I choose
Lutron/Crestron as examples to work to. I have firsthand experience of both
systems and am very impressed by the robustness of them. I am much less
impressed the the user freindlyness of the programming software though :-(

Keith