Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:33:43 -0000

> That was the intention in my original suggestion, unfortunately it
seemed
> to get modified by what others wanted in the device.
>
> To make an LCD display device with a TCP/IP interface is basically
really
> simple. All that was required was a simple sub protocol for
example :

> To display "Hello World" a simple ICMP Echo would work fine
and
would
> also mean that any TCP/IP device capable of doing an ICMP Echo
could send
> a message - It does not need to be overly complex. If a button was
> pressed then the unit could simply send the commands embedded in
the
> TCP/IP packets as data .. The unit would not have to identify
itself
> because the IP packet sent out by it would contain both the MAC and
IP
> addresses to uniquely identify it..
>
> As for single unit reliance (in the case of a dedicated controller)
the
> ideal situation would be to have the redundancy (discussed before)
where
> by multiple controllers sit on the network, one designated Primary
and
> the others Secondary.. all the units (Primary/Secondary) would
check in
> with each other every so often...if one of them disappeared for any
> length of time it would be marked as missing and could be added to
the
> list of "House Warning Messages" for display on the LCDs.
>
> I feel that all these projects are moving away from what I
initially
> invisaged and with (what appears) to be one or two people making
the
> decisions sometimes off list can see that what the group,
individual and
> developers want may be different things. As such I would like to
withdraw

I am truly very sorry if you feel you need the leave the project, the
off list msgs account to about 10 messages only. At no time was there
any intention to de-rail or divert the project.

About 4 of the messages were about arranging hardware to be sent to
out to Keith the remaining 6 messages can be reposted to the list if
required, I will do that on my return or perhaps Kieran could repost ?

Dont leave.  The LCD/KBD is not dead, but on its own it does little.
Personaly I think that if a project (Lighting) develops to a working
device and I am sure it will, then the other devices will follow. If
we had started with the LCD it is possible that we would have run out
of steam because it has a limited use untill the other devices are
built.

The lighting device also had the advantage that it already exists in
prototype form, which means that a complex device can be produced
quickly and perhaps more importantly it can work without a PC /
control system, it also has a limited command structure which is easy
to define.

If you want there is no reason why some of the group cannot start on
the LCD/KBD while the current project is being developed. I will help
with whatever I can.

If the group as a whole does not like the change to the lighting
control system I will go with the rest, no problem and no offence
taken.

Again please dont leave the group, your input/work is needed.

John.

(Car waiting must go on holiday)