Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 15:30:12 -0000

> Apologies in advance if I've got this all wrong or misused this
[square
> bracket] convention - I tend to skim read.

You are doing fine, [Project] for general stuff [Development] for the
detail

> As I understood it, the LCD module comprises an LCD panel, some
form of
> user input, one of these rabbit jobbers running IP and an ethernet
> connection to the house, in a 1 or 2 gang UK wall socket sized
housing?

> If that is the case, I'd envisioned the LCD module as nothing more
than
> a relatively dumb control surface - all it does is display
information
> and capture user input, communicating with a host on the network
which
> does all the legwork. Sort of like a severely limited X terminal or
VNC
> terminal.

Lots of good stuff sniped...

Sorry I can't answer all your points, I am ment to be packing for a
short break.

The main problem with the LCD project is I was thinking it would be a
bit more powerfull than a dumb terminal, talking directly to devices
and for that to happen we need the devices to work out what they
would say. I know some on the list like the idea of centeral
controler which would operate all these devices and I can see the
reason. But I like the security of knowing the house will not crash
if one device fails.

There are already LCD/KBD dumb terminals available if you wnat to go
down that route.

>From my stand point the LCD/KBD is not ditched its just posponed

John